Have you ever tried to freeze potato salad?
Many people think that potatoes do not taste good when frozen, and therefore potato salad cannot be frozen.
However, potatoes can be frozen if you know what to do with them. The same goes for potato salad.
Peeled, boiled, mashed, and seasoned, potato salad can be used in a variety of remake recipes.
Even if you are short on time, you can use frozen potato salad to make elaborate dishes that are easy to prepare and can be used in lunch boxes.
This article will introduce you to freezing and storing potato salad, which is especially good for those who tend to eat the same thing every day or are busy.
Benefits of Freezing Potato Salad
Freezing potato salad is a great way to shorten the cooking time.
Potato salad, which consists of peeling, boiling, mashing, and seasoning potatoes, is a time-consuming process.
Freezing potato salad is convenient because it can be taken out and used immediately.
By using frozen potato salad, you can make croquettes, gratins, and other dishes in less time.
If you have the time, you can finish the time-consuming process in one go and freeze it to remake it into a variety of dishes.
How to Make a Potato Salad That Tastes Good Even When Frozen
How to Make Potato Salad
- 2 large potatoes
- Corn, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. powdered cheese
- A pinch of pepper!
- Pinch of salt
1) Wash and peel the potatoes, cut them into bite-sized pieces, and wrap them in plastic wrap without overlapping.
2) Use the boiled vegetable function of the microwave or heat it while watching, and let it cook until it becomes soft.
3) Drain the corn, then dry it with kitchen paper or fry it lightly in a pan to remove the water.
4) Mash 2) well while it is still warm until it becomes mashed, then add the seasoning and mix.
5) Add 3), dress lightly, season with salt, and serve.
You can also add ingredients such as boiled and cut into thin ginkgo slices carrots, edamame, sea chicken (drained well), ham, bacon, sausage, etc. to freeze.
Tips For Making Potato Salad
1. Mash the potatoes thoroughly
If you freeze potato salad that still has the texture of potatoes, it will become mushy and unappetizing.
When freezing, be sure to mash the potatoes.
2. Do not add raw vegetables
If cucumbers or onions are added before freezing, they will release water when defrosted and will not taste good.
If you want to add raw vegetables, add the raw vegetables rubbed with salt to the defrosted potato salad.
3. Drain off the water
If the potatoes and carrots have a lot of water in them, when they are frozen and defrosted, the water will turn into ice cubes and destroy the cells, making the potatoes and carrots less tasty.
When cooking potatoes and carrots, it is recommended to steam or microwave them instead of boiling them.
If you use boiled potatoes and carrots, roast them once in a pan to remove the water.
For other ingredients, wipe off the water with kitchen paper or roast them so that as little water remains as possible.
How to Freeze Potato Salad
1) When the potato salad has cooled, wrap each portion flat in plastic wrap.
2) Place in an airtight container, such as a Ziploc, so that they do not overlap, and remove the air.
3) Place it on a metal bat, aluminum foil, or other heat-conductive material and freeze it at the lowest possible temperature.
How to Defrost Potato Salad and How Long to Store
How to Defrost Potato Salad
Potato salad should be moved to the refrigerator and defrosted as slowly as possible.
If it is heated too quickly, the cells will break down and water will be released easily.
If you are short on time, you can heat it in a microwave oven, but try to keep it wrapped in plastic wrap and heat it at a low temperature of 500W or less.
Potato salad contains mayonnaise and has a sour taste to it, so it is difficult to notice that it is damaged.
If you take it out to room temperature and defrost it naturally, be very careful not to damage it.
Potato Salad Shelf Life
The shelf life of frozen potato salad is about one month, depending on the storage conditions.
If you have a refrigerator that is frequently opened and closed and the temperature inside is not constant, be careful. If you are careful not to let cold air escape from the refrigerator, it will keep its flavor longer.
If it starts to get frosty, it is starting to deteriorate and should be served as soon as possible.
Also, the shelf life will be shortened if there are uncooked ingredients such as ham, or if you freeze something that has been prepared for a long time.
If you want to enjoy the dish as it is, please aim for two weeks.
If you want to enjoy it as it is, freezes it for two weeks. If it starts to deteriorate, arrange it into croquettes or gratins.
5 Easy Recipes Using Milk
Potato Salad, Easy and Healthy! Croquettes Without Deep Frying
- An adequate amount of frozen potato salad
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salad oil
How to make
1) Defrost the frozen potato salad and shape it into a bale.
2) Place the breadcrumbs and salad oil in a baking dish and microwave without wrapping for about 2 minutes, stirring to brown.
If the mixture is not heated enough, repeat heating for about 30 seconds and stirring again.
3) Sprinkle 1) with 2) to coat, and bake in a toaster oven until crispy.
You can also add curry powder, chopped onions, or cheese to 1).
You can also make delicious croquettes by battering (1) with flour, egg, and breadcrumbs and deep-frying it in oil.
Crispy Breakfast! Potage Soup
- 100 kilograms frozen potato salad
- 1 bag of corn soup stock
- 150 cc water
- 100 cc milk
- 1 tsp consomme granules
How to make
1) Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the consomm茅 granules and dissolve.
2) Add the frozen potato salad and let it dissolve.
3) Add the milk, turn off the heat just before it starts to boil, add the corn soup stock, and mix well.
Garnish with parsley, coarsely ground black pepper, or croutons for an accent.
Flexible! Potato Cheese Bake
- A small amount of frozen potato salad
- A moderate amount of melted cheese
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- Some butter (or margarine)
- A dash of ketchup
- Bread crumbs to taste
- Parsley to taste
How to make
1) Defrost the frozen potato salad.
2) Place 1) in a heavily buttered baking dish, season lightly with salt and pepper, pour over the ketchup, and top with cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley.
3) Bake in a toaster oven until browned and ready to serve.
You can put it on bread, drop an egg in the middle, use mayonnaise instead of cheese, add broccoli or tomatoes… You can arrange it in many ways.
For snacks! Potato Bacon Wrapped
- Amount of frozen potato salad
- Sliced bacon, to taste
- Parsley, to taste
How to make
1) Defrost the frozen potato salad.
2) Spread out the bacon, put 1) on top, and roll it up.
3) Heat a frying pan and without oil, grill the rolls end side down.
4) When the whole thing is browned, put it on a plate and sprinkle with parsley or black pepper as you like, and it is ready to serve.
You can also substitute ham or thin slices of meat for the bacon.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 5 tablespoons frozen potato salad
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tbsp. water
How to Make
1) Defrost the frozen potato salad and mix it with 1 egg.
2) Fry 1) in a pan with oil to form an omelet.
3) Mix the seasoning and an egg.
4) Pour the mixture (3) into the greased pan, top with the mixture (2), and bake as if wrapped.
How do you freeze potato salad and remake recipes?
When making potato salad suitable for freezing, the key points are to mash potatoes into mush, not to add raw vegetables, and to remove the water.
After it has cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap, place it in a ziplock, freeze it at the lowest temperature possible, and then slowly defrost it in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze the basic potato salad and add raw vegetables when you are ready to eat it.
You can make a lot of potato salad in bulk and try the freezer storage method and remake recipes.